Thursday, April 19, 2012

Blog #7: Individualism in Groups


People in groups my react differently than they would on their own. In the story Individualism in groups by Carol Tavris mentions actions the individual would’ve made if they were alone. Experiments and observations were performed by scientists. As a result to the experiments scientist came to some data that resulted in that people in groups would react by doing nothing compare to the individuals who responded in many ways. I strongly agree that think and act differently in groups than they would on their own.
                In the TV show Lost, people were screaming, crying and just yelling at nothing when their plane crashed on that weird island. Once the doctor (jack) and a few others tried their best to keep everyone clam. It was easier for them to cooperate with each other as a group to build shelter understanding each other’s pain that they’ve all lost someone in the crash. Before any organization into the subject, there were people scattered along the beach bowling and screaming. Once in a group people controlled their emotions more some even avoiding the group spot them having one of their moments. So if it wasn’t for organization these guys would still be reminiscing their lost ones without the comfort of others sharing the same feelings.
                Being in groups brings out another side of you. Personally I tend to be loud in a group. At softball games I feel that I can be goofier about things. Trying to keep a positive mind on the field and motivating the girls is a big part of being a Panther (school mascot). Whether we’re winning or losing we chant to motivate our batters/runners. When I walk the halls alone others may see me quit on my marry way to class. I can truly say that I have a better time in a group than I would on my own. It’s like another side of me comes out; I feel good about it too.
                In the Lion King movie when Simba ran away after the accident of his father. Simba thought it was his fault and decided to run away from home (his stupid uncle convinced him by saying all these mean things). Simba was all depressed and walked a long journey in to the jungle. That was until Bumba and Oscar found him. Bumba, Simba, and Oscar created a group, they became more like family. Simba just by meeting these other animals got his spirit up and learned a new way of living. Simba and the others sang all through the jungle and danced to the rhythm. Bumba and Oscar changed Simba’s emotion from something negative to something positive. Simba was interested in the way they ate grubs and other insects. Simba was better off in this new group/family than he was on his own when he ran away.
                In lost people where better off in groups working together than they would of if they were alone. They created better plans, and built shelters; they learned from one another. In my softball game I feel that in a group I have more energy to yell, and cheer for the team when I have the help of others. In the Lion King Bumba and Oscar helped Simba get out of his negative stage and thought him how to survive in the jungle singing and dancing. Simba would have hatted himself, and would have had to teach himself around the jungle. Being  in a group changed everything and everyone in different ways.

1 comment:

  1. The article discussed the social loafing issue, but your examples are about the groups having a positive influence--so how do you agree with it, as you state? You need to revise this to be consistent

    ReplyDelete